The Edwardian Homestead
Bushy Park Homestead, a twenty-two roomed residence, was designed by the notable architect Charles Tilleard Natusch for Frank Moore, a well known Hereford cattle and racehorse breeder of Kai Iwi near Whanganui.
It was built in 1906 by Messrs. Russell and Bignell of Whanganui at a cost of £4,566. Bushy Park’s design is more formal than most of Natusch’s houses primarily due to the influence of Moore, who rejected Natusch’s initial design preferring a more classical home of a Regency ‘cum’ American Colonial style, incorporating classical columns.
The home is constructed in timber on concrete foundations with a tiled roof. The interior features some fine panelling and a magnificent carved mantelpiece in the dining room, the work of W. Andrews of the Wanganui Technical School of Design.
Upon Moore’s death in 1962 the home and 220 acres [98 hectares] of surrounding bush were gifted to the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand (Forest and Bird).
The latter was formed in 1923 as the Native Bird Protection Society with the aim of protecting New Zealand’s ‘native flora and fauna, their habitats, and natural scenic values’. Over the years the Society has acquired more than 30 reserves throughout New Zealand, either through gift or by purchase.
In 1995 the management of Bushy Park was handed to the Bushy Park Homestead and Forest Trust, but still remains under the auspices of Forest and Bird.
The homestead now provides accommodation to the public and a venue for conferences and other functions. (click here for more information)
On a local level Bushy Park Homestead has great significance as the past home of Frank Moore, and because it was constructed by local builders and craftsmen. On a national level Bushy Park has great significant for its association with one of New Zealand's most notable architects, Charles Tilleard Natusch, and for its association for the last 40 years with the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand.
Historic Place - Category I Region:Manawatu-Whanganui Region
Current Use: Civic facilities and recreation - Conference centre
Education - Education - other
Residential buildings and associated places - Hotel
Residential buildings and associated places - House
Former Uses: Residential buildings and associated places - House
Construction Dates: Original Construction: 1906
Construction Professionals: Natusch, C.T. & Sons - Architect
Alfresco – outdoor dining
Lounge & Main Dining Room
Dining Room Formal