Trust & Vision
Bequeathed to Forest & Bird by the late GF Moore in 1962, Bushy Park has been diligently cared for by a local trust made up of volunteers.
The Bushy Park Trust was established in 1994, and is administered by a core of volunteers.
Objectives of the Trust are:
- The preservation and enhancement of the 90ha forest by ridding it of all predators.
- The enhancement of native bird life and the introduction of rare and endangered species once found there.
- To provide the opportunity for public education, recreation and enjoyment of the Homestead and forest.
- To provide in the Homestead a facility of accommodation and entertainment.
- To provide an education programme for students.
Bushy Park Sanctuary Trustees
|Chairperson||Elizabeth Tennet||Former MP, tourism operator, economic development manager, textile industry representative, Tourism NZ and Conservation Board member. Currently a Community Law advocate and conservationist|
|Deputy Chairperson||Kevin Ross||Former CEO of Whanganui District Council and conservationist|
|Board Member||Wilf Emmett||Founder of Emmetts Construction and conservationist|
|Board Member||Barry Wards||Specialist Advisor and Scientist with the Ministry for Primary Industries, member of NZ Forest and Bird|
|Board Member||Rosemary Rippon||Administrator, businesswoman, conservationist|
|Board Member||Alan Taylor||Farmer, Whanganui District Councillor, nominee from Whanganui District Council|
|Board Member||Dave Hopkins||Farmer, won Horizons Supreme Balance Farm Environment Award|
|Board Member - job-share, Education Committee||Kevin Booth/ Robin Paul||Teachers, educators, and conservationists|
|Board Member &
|Clare Raisin||Specialist administrator, governance experience, conservationist|
secretary and conservationist
To make education bookings for Bushy Park
Margie Beautrais (educator at the Whanganui Regional Museum) co-ordinates education bookings for Bushy Park Sanctuary, as well as offering pre and post learning sessions at the museum. Her contact details are:
BP Education Committee Co-ordinator
Phone: 06 3491110